Saturday, August 22, 2009

Como se dice?

Man, I should have stuck with Spanish in High School. I took tons of Spanish classes, and was even inducted into the National Spanish Honor Society...BUT I always hated how I sounded speaking it, and I sure didn't keep up with it, that's for sure.
When we got here, the missionaries quickly caught wind that I was a teacher, so they asked me to start a weekly English class. I can't believe how fast my Spanish has come back, even though I still have a long way to go with it. Most of the members in our Branch are from The Dominican Republic, and only speak Spanish. They are here working, and can obtain better jobs if they learn English. So, I took it on and designed an English program and got the class going. It is a major highlight of my week here. I love it.

Here is Mia helping out. She comes with me while Dave stays home studying for school.

Here we are with two of my students...Julio and Fransica. They are hilarious. Julio likes to tell me how to drive when we're going home, even though if I would have listened to him, we probably would have died three times by now. Fransica is so special. She's 45 years old!!!! She doesn't look a day over 33 to us. She is so happy and kind, and she babysits Mia every Friday night for us so we can have a date!

1 comment:

The Moore Family said...

Good for you Bec! You are amazing. I took the required two years from the "drunk" teacher. I left knowing about as much as I did coming in -burrito, taco, uno, dos . . you catch my drift.