Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mr. Cuteness and little cuteness

Today was the last day of Dave’s two week break from school. If I thought that Christmas break was the perfect break, I had no idea what the word perfect meant. This break was incredible. We had the perfect daily combination for a vacation.

Beach. Pool. Lunch. Nap. Amazing.

So on the last day of this perfect break, Dave offered for me to have my own “mommy break” today. He told me last night that I should take four hours this morning all to myself, and he and Mimi would play.

Deal.

I thought I’d go shopping, go to the beach, or relax by one of the resort pools, but when I woke up this morning, all I wanted to do was sleep. So he took Mia and went in the family room, and I got out of breakfast duties, diaper duties, and being a responsible parent in the morning.

It was perfect.

About 40 minutes into my “four hour” break, I went out to the kitchen to get some breakfast for myself. There I found the evidence.

Milk. Eggs. And Cookies for breakfast. Busted.

Complete with messy face and all.


Apparently, I wasn’t supposed to see that because I was supposed to be sleeping.

I retreated to the bedroom, and about 10 minutes into the next part of my “four hour” break, I heard the familiar little knocks at my door.


Little Cuteness. I couldn’t resist.

Mia came in and snuggled and talked and talked about very important things she wanted me to know about. I couldn’t understand her one bit. But I could understand how beautiful her morning hair is as it falls across her eyes and how cute her little tongue is when it moves over her teeth when she talks.







I love that little girl.

So even though my “four hour” break was more like “one hour,” I am grateful. It was a nice, kind, gesture from Mr. Cuteness.




Back in my previous life (aka pre-med school wife times), Mr. Cuteness used to watch Mia on Saturday mornings for hours while I indulged in my addiction for garage sales. Then Saturday mornings turned into ½ marathon training time, and again, Mr. Cuteness stepped up and gladly watched Mia while I ran for two hours. He would even drive with Mia and meet me at different points along my route with water and lots of encouragement.

I say “watched,” I know. It’s not babysitting. It’s parenting. And he’s wonderful at it.

I am grateful that we support each other in our individual dreams, desires, concerns, and needs.

That’s not mushy. It’s family.

And I love being in my little family.

5 comments:

amyegodfrey said...

I really enjoyed this! You wrote about things that really matter. Nice job.

The Filhart Family said...

She is getting so big! Glad you enjoyed your break...I'm still jealous of the adventure you are on.

Brantonians said...

What a beautiful post! Mr. Cuteness and Little Cuteness are so blessed to have Mrs. Amazing as a part of their family!

amyegodfrey said...

I need another post from your lovely self!

Jedd A. Diah said...

Enjoyable reading--you're good! Breaks are never long enough...