Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dora on Ice...in the Caribbean

So a few weeks ago, my friend Beth called me up on a lovely Saturday afternoon and said she had an extra ticket to Dora on Ice. I really had no idea what she was talking about. I had all the windows in my house open and I was sweating like a pig. Dora? On Ice? Where? I knew this was an adventure I COULD NOT miss out on, so I had to join the Allred clan and see this for myself.

The hubby had a big test to study for, so he had to stay home. I did bring him some brownie ice cream from Scoops after our outing, and that was all he needed. Sad he missed out though...Mia LOVES Dora, and she was so cute and excited, I know he would have loved to experience it with us.

So the ahem...auditorium was an outdoor field. The "stage" was like an 20 X 25 sheet of synthetic ice (whatever that means). The night started out with an annoying clown coming out and blowing a whistle and pointing at the audience. They love whistles in the Caribbean.
I thought the large blue container to the left of the stage was a special touch to the ambiance.


That's right. I never stop sweating and looking greasy around here...


The only brave Americans to venture out to Dora on Ice that night...don't we look HAPPY!!!??!!

As the "real show" started, so did the rain. Which now that I think of it, was probably the last time it rained on this island. Everything is brown around here now. Someone decided that they'd just drive their car out on the field and sit in it and watch the show to avoid getting wet. Nice solution!
Here's a little sampling of the Dora performance. The performance troupe was from Puerto Rico, so listen for their Puerto Rican accents singing the song and Mia chiming in.

When we got home that night, Dave was asking a ton of questions about how it went. He asked if they were doing tricks like triple axles. I said, "No. Not quite."

4 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

What a sweet show! Dave really missed out. :)

Our Paper Plates said...

How funny! Just another memory to stock away! Believe it or not, you will miss memories like this when you go back home, so soak it in. I wish I looked that good sweaty!!!!

Allred Fam said...

a nice synopsis and a politically correct description of everything....

:)

Melissa said...

Um...this is hilarious. Oh how I wish I could have seen it. I am sure the skating was spectacular...tell me...was their main trick being able to skate backwards? That is quite ambitious though, I have to hand it to them. I have no doubt it was a ridiculous sight to behold. Man why do you get to have all the fun. Oh well...well gotta go eat some In and Out Burgers here in the grand old United State.