Friday, August 19, 2011

Nothing Like a Trip to Nauvoo

(Check out those toes...)

This picture cracks me up every time I look at it. Yes, 'tis true, we are poor students. Holes in the socks...EVERY pair we own. Of course, we got some new ones, but those are now getting holes in them too. We can not figure out how in the world this is happening. Must be another twilight zone medical school occurrance, or something.


So in June, my parents + two of my sisters + 3 of my nephews came up to these parts to see some Church history points of interest. My parents thought it would be a nice idea to take the next 3 grandsons that are preparing for missions to see some very important places that shaped the beginning of the church. I thought it was awesome that we live close by...and that they swung by to let me and the kids tag along for a little bit of it!



(Nauvoo Temple at Dusk)


We ended up staying right across the street from the temple, which was perfect for sitting out on the balcony at night looking at the illuminated temple listening to my mom tell us stories about early church history. This was the first time I'd been to Nauvoo as an adult (and since the temple has been rebuilt), so it was a very meaningful trip for me!




(Mimi's favorite part=the HORSE RIDE!)


There isn't a ton to do in Nauvoo for little-little ones...and the 110 degree humid heat didn't help with trying to coerce them into believing that everything we were doing was for little-little ones. Luckily she was in heaven on the horse-drawn tour of Old Nauvoo!


(Kainoa, Papa, and Nana liked it too)


(The grandsons practicing stilt-walking)

(Mia working at mastering a game at the pioneer games station)



(After lots of prodding and FORCE, here is Mia in a make-shift Pioneer outfit)


(The FOUR grandsons on the trip! Don't be scared, Bear!!!)


(The fam (minus Janet taking the picture) outside our hotel)


Great way to spend a few days of the summer, and I even got to get away from the cares of our "holey-sock" student life!

3 comments:

Janet said...

I love the pictures! Man that was such a fun trip. I am so glad you guys were able to come with us. Justs wish Dave could have come too. :)

Our Paper Plates said...

I love the holey sock picture!! Love the temple picture at dusk too! We miss the Filharts. And don't worry - we are a holey sock family for now too!

Kerstin said...

What a fun trip! There is something about Kainoa that really reminds me of Hank.