Monday, October 20, 2008

Love it

As many of you know, we are the poor not-so-newlyweds trying to make it. While Dave is studying for the MCAT, we are just trying to make our dollars stretch until we can move onto bigger and better things in life. So I caught the garage sale fever with my cousin Becca this weekend, and let me tell you...you can be DIRT POOR and still live very nice...if you are willing to be creative, patient, and diligent in your bargain hunting. We went out to some community garage sales in very affluent areas of town this past Saturday (thanks to Daddy watching Mia until noon so that I could go...isn't he the BEST!!!??!!!). Here's the proof that for almost nothing, you can really get something!
Babytrend jogger stroller (barely used, WITH swivel front wheel) $15
Kolcraft Umbrella Stroller $3
Leap Frog Learning Drum $.50
Playschool Bus $1.00
Six Drawer Wood Dresser w/ new Hardware $15 (I will have to restain it)
8 Brand New gorgeous outfits for Mimi $5

So I paid less than $40 for all of this!! I did some research and found that I would have paid somewhere in the area of $500-$600 (With $300 for the dresser alone)!!! AND I am selling my old washer and dryer for $50, so it looks like I'll have $10 left over to spend on the next sale.
LESSON? You can be dirt poor, and still be very happy (with a GORGEOUS daughter and HOT husband) with a beautiful cozy home...while still living within your means. Love it!
(p.s. Thanks Becca for letting me tag along for shopping! You and your momma are the queens!!)

6 comments:

The Moore Family said...

Yeah cutest!!! I am so glad you had fun too- I LOVED being with your beautiful buns!! PS- you can get way more than $50 for a washer and dryer!!!!!! If you are selling both- even if they are ghetto- the VERY MINIMUM I would ask on craigslist is $100! I bought mine on craigslist for $50 each and they are great- but that was THE cheapest I found after looking for a few days.

Jaymie and Donna Jones said...

I am so way jealous. I guess I got to hit those garge sales more often! Congrates on all the great finds!

Kerstin said...

You've inspired me. Those are some incredible finds!

Raina said...

I totally agree! I love garage sales! My baby outgrows his clothes so fast, so a few dollars a new wardrobe for this little one only to last a couple of months. Perfect!

Dr. Todd said...

Can you teach my wife that lesson???? Thank you!

Jodiane said...

I love your bargaining ways. I always wanted to be poor, hunting the bargains and in love, so just enjoy every minute of it... b/c when Dave is an M.D. you gonna be rich girl.