Monday, October 6, 2008

Get Inspired




So this morning I got serious. Real serious. I committed to run this freaking 1/2 marathon in February, and let me tell you...I am not cut out for this stuff. Imagine a chubby almost 30 year old girl trying to be an athlete when she just had a kid, and yes still LOOKS like she just had a kid for crying out loud, even though Mia is already 7 months old. (Yeah, I know J Lo. just did a triathlon and she had TWINS the same time I had Mia, so what). So Dave agreed to be supportive and do some of the workout/eating with me. Soooo we got up early this morning and went to hike A Mountain.
The weather switch finally flipped here, so the morning was gorgeous and it felt great to be out. We started up the mountain with me in the front and Dave carrying little Mimi in the bjorn. We started passing a bunch of ASU athletes running down the mountain and I immediately start thinking, yeah, that will never be me, uuuggghhh! Then we pass another group of athletes, and I catch a glimpse of one actually wearing a shirt...but he had his tighty blackies on. (Yes, like tighty whities, but they were black). Who knows, maybe the poor guy got up late and didn't want to get in trouble for being 3 seconds late for putting on a pair of shorts. So I forge ahead and about 1 minute later I see a guy with one leg and crutches coming down the mountain. It was actually Anthony Robles from the ASU Wrestling team.













He was so nice, and Dave stopped to talk to him for a minute. Dave knew him from Golden's Gym back in the day. He is totally inspiring. He can finish a mile in 8 minutes (with a goal to get it under 6 minutes), was undefeated in high school at Mesa High for wrestling, and he currently gives guys a run for their money in the college wrestling circuit. I included a link with some stories on him...he totally motivated me and heck...it's only 13 miles for the 1/2 marathon...I can do it!

Check him out at http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3159645

6 comments:

The Moore Family said...

I'm proud of you girlfriend! You are way to hard on yourself, you are beautiful! It does feel great to take care of yourself, not at first but it doesn't take long. .

The Moore Family said...

Becky, unfortunately I have Super Sat. this weekend and I am not sure how early I have to be there to set up- I might be able to go for a little bit- But I am SURE my mom would love for you to go and I could come for a little bit!

Kerstin said...

What an inspiring post! Thanks I needed that. I'm so excited to run this with you.

Raina said...

You'll get there! It is such a hard road after having a baby!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you...you are inspiring and one strong willed mommy. You will rock that marathon and be so proud of yourself once you are ready for it. You go girl!!! Keep the updates coming!

Our Paper Plates said...

Ok - so number one, you don't just look like you had a baby. I think you look great :) number two - i wish i lived closer because i would totally volunteer to be your running partner. Exercise is alot more fun when you are sharing the pain with someone else :)Keep up the great work!