Friday, May 29, 2009

1 Month Down...19 to Go



Well we've been here for over a month already and we can't believe it. Time is seriously flying by. For having absolutely nothing to do around here, life is still as busy as ever if you can believe that. Dave is gone 7:30-5:30 everyday, and our weekends have been packed with still trying to get things set up around here. Life on Nevis is very different. "Island Time" is in full effect if you know what I mean. There are no Walmarts, no malls, no strip malls even...so you run to this store for one thing, and another store for something else, and spend a lot of time running around trying to get groceries and supplies that we were used to being able to get all at once in one store or one trip. Most of the businesses close before 3 pm, which can also be difficult because Dave is still in school, and sometimes they only want to do business with him because he is the student (things have to be in his name) and therefore the reason why we are allowed to be here. I guess I'm grateful though, because it eats up a lot of time and I'm not getting toooo bored yet. Ha. Luckily Dave carpools, so I have a car 1/2 of the time. I'll do a seperate blog entry about the car situation. It will need it's own spotlight...uggghhhhh...

We don't have cable, so I've been checking a few shows online, but really using the extra time to be a real housewife around here. Hum...if they ever did a Real Housewives of Nevis it would be the most boring, yet beautiful show yet... anyway...groceries are incredibly expensive, so I've had to look to recipes and meal ideas that are more affordable for living here. I've been making my own tortillas (the ones in the store are either rotting or way too expensive), making my own refried beans (they don't even carry them here), and trying to figure out bread. A loaf of bread here is anywhere from $2.50-$4.50 which doesn't sound too bad, but when you're living off of pb & j, and the expensive bread is usually the only stuff available, you start to wonder if you can make it yourself for cheaper.

The problem is my oven. It's gas and it's scary. I've never had a gas stove/oven, so I'm still adjusting and trying not to burn everything. The oven is very dangerous and scary to light. You have to turn on the gas with the knob and then try to light the pilot light inside the oven, but it doesn't always work...and sometimes when it lights, there's a big WHOOOSSH and fire billows out of the sides and bottom of the oven. I'm not exagerrating, it's dangerous. We have to have Mimi in the other room while one of us lights it. Sooo..I am not so sure I can make good, yummy bread in an unpredictable oven yet.

Another way I spend my time is bug patrol. Our place is pretty clean, no roaches, mice, or bats (like some houses here), just ants...lots of ants. They are all over the kitchen. So I bought a can of "BOP." I was told to spray all the windows and doors twice a month and we'd be good to go. The first time I did it, I got the worst headache and nausea from the fumes. I'm not kidding. I did it late at night after Mimi was asleep and I could clear everything off the counters. I was so sick that night, and come to find out that this stuff is crazy potent and actually illegal in the US. Prior knowledge would have been beneficial. The ants were totally gone though...



Exercise. That's another time user-upper. There are a few gyms here, but they have weird hours that wouldn't work for us with no childcare, so that's out of the question. There are no tracks or sidewalks anywhere, so I usually just throw Mia in the stroller and we walk up and down our hill by our house. The problem is the dogs. They are mean and vicious I tell you. The monkeys and goats are totally scared of you, so I have no problem walking near them because they aren't gonna do a thing. It's the dogs and my imagination that terrify me. Dogs are the security systems around here. There are usually 2-4 chained up outside and they are trained to kill. Sometimes we walk by this one house and the large gates are wide open and the dogs are going crazy and I'm white-nuckled praying that their leashes won't suddenly break. My imagination is the other hurdle. We live in the jungle basically, and there are tons of sounds and crackles as we're walking with just me and little Mimi. Some days it isn't so bad. I just go on my way and I feel great. Some days I'm freaking out about what the heck is in there...a quail, a mongoose, a cat, a rat, a wild pig, or a bull? It could be any of those and more. At least my heartrate gets up there...

With 19 months to go, this is the wildest adventure I've ever been on!!!

5 comments:

M.M.M. said...

is that a dog or a cow because your story was about a dog. your pictures really SHOULD match.

what is your address? I am going to mail you your hot chocolate maker. You can learn how to make coco from scratch to give you something else to do. First you grow the coco beans...then you....hmmm...what would you do? I have no idea how to make chocolate.

Our Paper Plates said...

I love the picture - you and Mimi look like total island girls already!! :)

Oh my gosh! Gas ovens ARE so scary!That's all they have in Argentina and I can't tell you how many times I have burnt the hairs on my arms becuase I didn't move fast enough before the "poof". It gets less scary as time goes on - I promise! With the dogs, there were TONS in Argentina just roaming around and half of them were about as big as a miniature horse (no joke!). One thing that I did was carry a large rock with me so when they start to charge or growl/bark, you threaten them with the rock and they usually cower back. Mean, I know, but it worked and I never had to hit one.

I found some awesome bread recipes that I am learning to use too - I'll pass them along so you can try them. I have a little section on my blog for cheap living (aka cooking/growing your own food). Cooking in a gas oven can be a little tricky BUT alot times things like bread and rolls taste better from a gas oven.

Sounds like you guys are adjusting well and lovin' life!! We miss you guys but love hearing about how you are rockin' life!

Kerstin said...

oh my Becks! What a crazy adventure! Was that bull in your backyard?

Becky Filhart said...

Yeah...crazy is right. Melissa-the story was initially about dogs, but the imagination part needed some backing up I thought, hence the picture of the bull. Kerstin-that Bull is from my friend's yard actually, but they are everywhere!:):)

Julie and Todd said...

This is so great! I love reading your entries. What an amazing adventure!