Thursday, October 8, 2009

John William Schoen - We'll Miss You!! May 6, 1972 - Oct. 8, 2009

I felt that it was important to write a few words about my Brother-in-law, John William Schoen. We found out this morning, October 8, 2009, that he had passed on. He was only 37. John was diagnosed six months ago, and died of colon cancer. He leaves behind his wife Jacqui, and his oldest son Tommy, daughter Sheridan, daughter Rita, and baby Miles. I will deeply miss him. His family will deeply miss him. We all will miss him.

John is Becky's second oldest brother. I have only known John for about five years, but I can say, he was a great husband and father. He was a good brother. He was a good man.


Above is a family photo of John and family Christmas 2006 (l-r Sheridan, Jacqui, Tommy, John, and Rita)

Above is a photo of John, Jacqui, and their youngest son, Miles in January 2009, for Miles' baby blessing.

John Was first and foremost a loving husband to Jacqui, and a kind and loving father to his children. He was a deeply religious man, and endeavored to teach and lead his family in the way of the Lord. He was very kind, and had a huge heart.

I remember when I was first meeting the family, and during subsequent visits to San Antonio, that John always showed kindness and love to me. He would always go out of his way to talk with me and make me feel welcome and comfortable. I enjoyed the conversations that we shared. He always left me with the impression that he was genuinely interested in me, and he was always a gracious host. His simple kindness touched my heart and I will always be grateful to him for our friendship. I will never forget him.

A few weeks before entering medical school, I was in the airport in San Jose, waiting for my flight back to Phoenix. John called me on my celly, and we must have talked for over a half an hour or so, about our families. I shared with him my insecurities and feelings of inadequacy in regards to being a new father, and the struggles that come with being a family man. John lent an empathetic ear, and shared with me some of his personal experiences, and gave me some advice and words of encouragement. Looking back, I didn't know that would be the last conversation I would have with John, but I am grateful for it. I considered myself lucky to know him.


Above is at Rita's Baby Blessing in 2006

Church and family were the most important things to John. That was evident in the way he lived. He served a mission, went to church every Sunday, and was a faithful and devoted husband and father. He was a hardworking man.


Every Dad's dream, to sleep, while the kids are sleeping! ;)

I loved seeing this picture of John catching some zzz's with his little ones. He loved his children. It always cracked me up to see the bantering that would go on between Tommy and his Dad. I remember quite a few times where John would be as stern with Tommy as I have ever seen, but Tommy would still push his buttons, without hesitation. I would always laugh inside, and always got a kick out of watching them interact. Sheridan would get in on it too! Looking back, I will definitely miss witnessing that.

I loved that John and his family did Tae Kwon Do together.

Me and Becky have vowed to keep this tradition going in our family. What a good, wholesome, recreational activity to do as a family! A family that kicks butt together, stays together. Thanks John, for your good example!

I remember one time we were at Becky's Mom and Dad's house, and John, Jacqui, and the kids were over. Of course, the kids would always put on a demo of their latest kata, but one time, to my surprise, John and Jacqui were showing some action! I think Jacqui was demonstrating how to get out of the grips of an attacker, and John was her demo partner. I still remember clearly the smiles she had in laying the smack down on John, and I remember very clearly how proud John was of his dear wife.


The above picture was taken just a little over a month ago, on September 5th, 2009.

Becky was able to be at Sheridan's baptism. She said that after the baptism, that John gave Sheridan a blessing that was really sacred and special. It was one of the last blessings that John gave to his daughter.

As I am writing this, I must admit, I am teary eyed. But, in my heart, I know, as John knows, that families are forever.



John dancing with Jacqui at his sister Heather and Shaman's wedding reception.
Even though he was sick, he was still a handsome devil.

God speed John, we'll miss you brother. We'll see you soon.



Read more about John's struggle with cancer as recorded by his wife, Jacqui:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/paininthesacrum

Below is a link in rememberance of John, and also where you can contribute to John's children's college fund:
http://notsosouthern.blogspot.com/

John William Schoen's Obituary:
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/articles/john-61303-schoen-cancer.html

4 comments:

Janet said...

Dave, that was such a beautiful tribute to John. Thank you so much. I love you, Janet

Jacqui said...

I just saw the entries about John and they are beautiful! Thanks so much Dave. We missed you at the funeral and all the events but I know your were studying hard! Hope to see you soon! - Jacqui

Our Paper Plates said...

We are so sorry for your loss :( It was beautiful to read this tribute to such a wonderful man. Thank heavens for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the knowledge that families are forever! It is the super glue that holds me together when the sting of death touches our lives...

Rebecca said...

Becky, this brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss!!